As Specops Deploy /OS is built on top of standard components such as MDT 2010 Update 1 it's easy for admins to manipulate steps within the task sequences to carry out additional functionality such as adding an email post os install or displaying some handy information during the preinstall phase like so..
Here's how you do it..
- Download the sample HTA here and save it to <InstallationDrive>\Specops\Deploy\DeploymentRepository\Scripts directory on your Specops Deploy Image Server.
- On the Specops Deploy /OS Image Server open the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Deployment Workbench.
- Open a Deployment Share and navigate to the Specops Deployment Respository which resides in <InstallationDrive>\Specops\Deploy\DeploymentRespository.
- Navigate to the Task Sequences node, right click on the installation Task Sequence that you want to have the computer information dialog in and select Properties.
the Task Sequence tab, open the Preinstall node and select the Report
- Select the add button and under general choose "Run Command Line"
- Set the name to Display Computer Information (by default it says Run Command Line)
- Set the Command line to cmd.exe /c start "" mshta.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\SpecopsComputerInfo.hta"
- Press OK and close all dialogs and the Deployment Workbench
- Finally open the Specops Deploy /OS Admin tools and select the Image Server and Publish Deployment Repository to have the change pushed out to the Deployment Servers.
- Start your deployment and you should see the computer information displayed during the preinstall phase.